“That's how you do it!”
― Girlfriend, Friday Night Funkin'
Girlfriend is the deuteragonist of Friday Night Funkin', Boyfriend's partner, and the daughter of Daddy Dearest and Mommy Mearest. She is usually seen sitting on top of speakers, bopping her head to the tempo of the music, cheering Boyfriend on and keeping track of combos. While not necessarily an antagonist, she is the first opponent faced by Boyfriend where she teaches the player how to play the game with her only track, Tutorial.
Girlfriend is a young, light-skinned woman with long auburn hair; the shine on said hair resembles a skull. She wears a sleeveless red mini-dress and matching high heels. Her fingernails are painted red. She is almost always on a set of three speakers, sitting on the large middle one with her legs crossed.
During Week 4, her hair gets blown as a result of being on top of a moving car.
During Week 5, she wears a similar sleeveless red mini-dress with a fluffy white collar, red gloves with white cuffs, white thigh-high stockings with small red bows, and yellow bell earrings. The speakers she sits on are all wrapped in festive Christmas lights.
During Week 6, her regular appearance is rendered in a pixel art style.
Girlfriend is portrayed as a young, mysterious woman chilling on top of her speakers and vibing to the music. With a love for cherry soda and her boyfriend, Boyfriend, she seems to be calm and collected in almost any situation even in the face of death. Being a demon, she seemingly possesses a great deal of power, but she chooses to hide it. She is always seen with Boyfriend at her side, courtesy of true love as she genuinely loves him very much.
Like with Boyfriend, Girlfriend has been confirmed to not be the sharpest tool in the shed, to the point where her faith in Boyfriend is practically blind faith. However, she is still capable of making smart decisions and knows what to do when dealing with taxes and facing death. Girlfriend has also been described to be mean "in her own special way".
- According to PhantomArcade in a Tweet, one of the core inspirations for Friday Night Funkin' is the 1981 anime adaptation of the manga Urusei Yatsura. Girlfriend is based on the series' main character's girlfriend Lum Invader, who has a horny boyfriend named Ataru Moroboshi, whom Boyfriend is based on in turn.
- According to JohnnyUtah in a YouTube video made in collaboration with YouTuber DidYouKnowGaming?, the blocks on which Girlfriend sat in the Ludum Dare prototype of Friday Night Funkin' were originally meant to be a podium serving to present her as a prize to the player, and were subsequently changed to a boombox as a result of fanart of her depicting her sitting on a boombox, which the developers thought was a great concept fitting the game's music-themed nature. However, in a Tweet posted by ninjamuffin99, he instead stated that the blocks were replaced by speakers as a result of a fan's request and called the fan's message "Funkin history".
- Girlfriend's design was inspired by the girl from Rhythm Heaven, as stated in an interview and a Tweet.
- Girlfriend is the first character to not have a "danger" icon, the second being Daddy Dearest, the third being Senpai, and the fourth being Spirit.
- However, the reason why she doesn't have one is most likely because she's not really in danger of losing during the Tutorial since she's only teaching the player how to play the game.
- Girlfriend is the first opponent to not use a microphone, the second being Monster and the third being Spirit.
- She loves Cherry Dr. Pepper, as confirmed in a Tweet made by ninjamuffin99.
- If Boyfriend fails to hit a note during a +10-note combo, Girlfriend will briefly cry.
- Girlfriend is afraid of thunder and lightning, as she will briefly react fearfully whenever they occur along with Boyfriend in an animation in Week 2.
- This may mean that she is astraphobic.
- Her fingernails are painted red. However, they can only be seen during the Tutorial when she points.
- An unused animation of Girlfriend based on her sprite from the Game Over screen for Stress is present in the Flash files for Week 7. Its exact purpose is unknown, although it may have been intended for the unfinished beginning cutscene for Week 6, as it was discussed during a Week 6 cutscene creation live stream by PhantomArcade prior to the release of Week 7's assets.
- Girlfriend has several unused voice clips that were going to be used for dialogue purposes but have been scrapped alongside the dialogue.
- Girlfriend is a gamer and likes to play Tetris.
- Girlfriend's favorite kind of pizza topping is olive.
- In early stages of development, Girlfriend was meant to cross and swap her legs during her idle animation. During the one frame when both legs were separated, there would've been darkness and sparkles in her dress. This idea was scrapped in favor of her just bopping her head to the music, which was easier to animate. Time constraints were another issue.
- It was confirmed by both PhantomArcade and ninjamuffin99 on the former's Twitch live stream that Girlfriend is extremely dense, having an immense amount of faith in Boyfriend to handle things.
- In the Week 7 track Stress, it's revealed through the Game Over screen that Girlfriend is a demon, much like her parents, despite her human-like appearance. In addition to her red skeleton and spiky teeth, she is also shown to have a pair of slightly curved black horns that protrude from her forehead. Given that they are only visible here, it is possible that either they are hidden underneath her bangs, or they haven't grown out yet.
- Similarly, in the cutscene that plays before Stress, it is shown that Girlfriend can make her eyes gleam red and make her skin turn a light shade of purple, acting as a visual indicator of her using her demon powers.
- In the Week 7 update, her unused cheering animation was added to the Tutorial.
- Girlfriend doesn't know how to cook, according to a Retweet.
- Despite this, she does know how to make PB&J sandwiches.
- Girlfriend also enjoys eating fistfuls of peanut butter as a snack.
- Despite this, she does know how to make PB&J sandwiches.
- Girlfriend is neurodivergent, as she has ADHD and is autistic, confirmed by PhantomArcade during a live stream.
- In a Reddit AMA, it was confirmed that Girlfriend's favorite animal is a Hominid, not realizing that a Hominid isn't an actual animal.
- Girlfriend is nice and chunky, just like Boyfriend likes her.
- In a Twitter sketch, it was hinted that Girlfriend is an artist. This was later followed up by a sketch of her showing Boyfriend a painting she made of Pim and Charlie from Smiling Friends. However, in a Twitch stream, it's confirmed that due to her density, she doesn't know how commissions work, meaning that she probably doesn't have an exact price on art commissions in general, though she sells her commissions for 1 trillion dollars.
- Girlfriend's favorite Newgrounds game is probably Alien Hominid, due to the cuteness of the titular character.
View Girlfriend's full gallery here.
- In a Tweet made in December 2020 by PhantomArcade, Boyfriend and Girlfriend were stated to be 19 years old. In a Tweet made in February 2021 by PhantomArcade, the two characters were stated to be 20 years old. It is unclear if PhantomArcade was confused in the later Tweet, if the two being 19 years old was retconned, or if Boyfriend and Girlfriend have no specific age and only a range. However, in a live stream PhantomArcade did in April 2022, he stated that Boyfriend and Girlfriend are 19 again. As the two have been stated to be 19 more often than not, the one instance of them being stated to be 20 may have been a mistake.
|Main Characters||Boyfriend - Girlfriend|
|Antagonists||Daddy Dearest - Skid and Pump - Monster - Pico - Mommy Mearest - Senpai - Spirit - Tankman|
|Upcoming||Cassette Girl - Hank J. Wimbleton - Ritz The Rat - Cassandra|
|Scrapped or Unused||Lucky Boy|
|Background Characters||Henchmen - Mall Santa - Background Freaks - Tankmen|