Monster is the secondary antagonist of Week 2 and Week 5, the latter of which also features him as a background character. He forcefully takes over for both weeks' final tracks, Monster and Winter Horrorland, respectively.
Monster appears to be a demonic humanoid creature with a body mostly comprised of black scribbles apart from his neck, which is instead a violet-pink color. He only has two stubs on each hand and foot. His head is in the shape and color of a lemon with bloodshot eyes and eerily large black pupils. He always has a wide open smile with light-pink teeth that extrude from his mouth. Blood stains the roots of his teeth and the bottom of his eyes.
During Week 5, he wears a Santa hat that's torn on the end.
Monster is an eccentric and mysterious individual who craves the flesh and meat of humans as well as demons. He likes to sing about how he wants to kill and eat people, including children, in gruesome detail. He is willing to trick others to get what he wants, as shown when he deceived Skid and Pump as an attempt to get Girlfriend so that he could eat her. Monster has been described as being "just insane", and it has been hinted that he has not found inner peace.
During the events of Week 2, Monster wants to eat Girlfriend for Halloween, so he comes across Skid and Pump and tricks them into thinking Girlfriend is made out of candy and to retrieve her for him. The kids come to Girlfriend's house and decide to rap-battle Boyfriend to get her. However, the kids lose and fail to retrieve the girl, so Monster decides to step up and get her himself. He eventually decides he'll eat Boyfriend as well, and repeatedly voices his desire to kill the two and eat them. Unfortunately for him, he loses to Boyfriend and leaves.
Monster would later return in Week 5, where he initially only witnesses Boyfriend's face-off against Daddy Dearest and Mommy Mearest, but later takes over the parents' spotlight and sings against Boyfriend with the same goal of eating him along with his girlfriend. This time, his verses are Christmas-themed and talk about various ways he could cook and eat both Boyfriend and Girlfriend. Unfortunately, Monster once again loses against the blue-haired man and is defeated, for now.
- Monster's design used to be different during development: he had a more grotesque look and teeth all over his body. He was also shown residing in a pumpkin with a face carved onto it.
- Unlike the other characters, Monster is currently the only one to sing with full English words instead of making sound effects, without counting Girlfriend in Tutorial.
- Judging by his lemon-shaped head and the tone of his song, many people believed Monster to be a reference to Lemon Demon, the musical pseudonym of internet comedian and musician Neil Cicierega. This however, was confirmed not to be the case by ninjamuffin99 in a Reddit AMA, and that the similarities were purely coincidental.
- People being led to believe that Monster was a reference to Lemon Demon was likely due to Lemon Demon's music being incredibly popular on Newgrounds in the early 2000's, and with the official release of "The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny" currently having over 13 million views on Newgrounds alone.
- Despite popular belief, Monster's voice was not provided by Neil Cicierega either. All of Monster's songs were produced and performed by Bassetfilms, an animator on Newgrounds who helped design the character with PhantomArcade.
- Monster is commonly known among the Friday Night Funkin' fandom as "Lemon Demon" due to his having a lemon-shaped head and being a demon. This became a popular alias for him to the point where, according to a Tweet made by Needlejuice Records, they had to explain Monster to Neil Cicierega in a business meeting, as he had no idea why the term "Lemon Demon" was becoming an ongoing trend.
- Monster is the first character to have a song named after him, the second being Pico and the third being Senpai.
- Monster is the only character whose tracks were not made by Kawai Sprite, having been composed by Bassetfilms instead.
- The character is named "Monster" within the game's files. All in-game files related to him have this name, though it may have been only a temporary name simply describing what he was.
- According to ninjamuffin99, the level that uses Monster's eponymous song was not originally added as he was struggling with mapping it, leading to Week 2 being a track short upon its release. Shortly after Monster's files were discovered, a user on Reddit mapped the entire song to his approval, leading to the chart being included in the game until the song was recharted during the release of Week 7.
- PhantomArcade posted a video to his TikTok showing off more detailed and animated Monster sprites whilst saying, "This is a Friday Night Funkin' leak. You guys don't even have the right file. You guys are playing with the wrong one," with the caption, "NO ONE EVEN HAS THE REAL ANIMATIONS, LMAOOOO."
- These sprites were eventually properly added to the game, with the old ones remaining unused.
- Monster's earlier sprites have an issue where his neck would appear longer and clip inside his own mouth whenever he bopped his head down. This version also lacked the stretch mark lines that appeared in his Week 5 appearance.
- Monster would go on to make his first official appearance in the game during the Week 5 update as both a background character and later an antagonist for the third track with updated animations. His unused track for Week 2, Monster, would be implemented into the game with the Week 7 update.
- Prior to his official addition into the game, Monster's face always remained largely static whenever he sang. After being added, the updated sprites showed that Monster can contort and stretch out his face and eyeballs.
- Monster's head appears in Roblox as a hat accessory for the player's avatar. The head was originally banned due to copyright issues but was later authorized to be available by evilsk8r.
- Monster is the second character to not use a microphone, the first being Girlfriend and the third being Spirit.
- Monster's head was confirmed not to be an actual lemon and that it was merely shaped and colored like one.
- According to ninjamuffin99 in a Tweet, Monster has the demonic ability to alter someone's perception, which explains how the background in Week 5 was able to change.
- Interestingly, Monster's left pose depicts him going to the right rather than left, and vice-versa for his right pose.
View Monster's full gallery here.
|Main Characters||Boyfriend - Girlfriend|
|Antagonists||Daddy Dearest - Skid and Pump - Monster - Pico - Mommy Mearest - Senpai - Spirit - Tankman|
|Upcoming||Cassette Girl - Hank J. Wimbleton - Ritz The Rat - Cassandra|
|Scrapped or Unused||Lucky Boy|
|Background Characters||Henchmen - Mall Santa - Background Freaks - Tankmen|