Story Mode is the main game mode of Friday Night Funkin'. In this mode, players select and play through different weeks that combine the scores of each level together into a final week score.
There are currently 7 weeks in the game, plus a tutorial. In total, there are 22 official tracks. All weeks include a new antagonist/antagonists and a different background (with the exception of the tutorial and the first week). Some antagonists reappear in later weeks. Some tracks may have special transitions or cutscenes before the level starts that can only be seen in Story Mode.
The tutorial is a separate level meant to teach the player the basics of playing the game. The tutorial's location is set at The Stage.
Daddy Dearest is the first week of the game. The week's location is also set at The Stage.
Spooky Month is the second week of the game. The week's location is set at Girlfriend's House.
Pico is the third week of the game. The week's location is set at the Newgrounds Office Building.
Mommy Must Murder is the fourth week of the game. The week's location is set at The Limousine.
Red Snow is the fifth week of the game. The week's location is set at The Mall. The background drastically changes during the third and final track.
Hating Simulator ft. Moawling is the sixth week of the game. The week's location is set at The School. The background changes a bit during the second track and more drastically during the third and final track.
Players can chose between Easy, Normal and Hard difficulties by pressing the left and right arrow keys or the A and D keys.
- Easy difficulty is the most suitable difficulty level for players that are new to the game or rhythm games in general. The pace of the notes are always kept at a very comfortable speed. The amount of notes that players must hit during a track is light as though the amount of notes are kept to a bare minimum.
- Normal difficulty is the standard difficulty level for players. The pace of the notes can vary from a moderate to somewhat fast speed. The amount of notes that players must hit during a track is regular, with a decent amount of notes overall.
- Hard difficulty is the highest difficulty level for players that want more of a challenge. The pace of the notes are almost always kept at a fast speed. The amount of notes that players must hit during a track is heavy as the game sends as many notes as possible, to the point that there is a note for every beat in the song.
High scores in Story Mode (dubbed week score) are the total of all the scores earned from each track in a week. Quitting a week before completing its final track will result in the combined score not being recorded. High scores received from each individual song in Story Mode will appear in Freeplay and overwrite the previous score if they are higher.
After finishing a week, players will be brought back to the menu where they can select another week to play.
- Pico faces towards the left instead of the right in his appearance in Story Mode's week selection menu, unlike all the other antagonists.
- Senpai's appearance in Story Mode's week selection menu shows him on a CRT gaming TV hooked up to a video game console with a controller and an open game case. This makes him the first character to include extra art on his Story Mode character render.
- Week 2 was once the only week in the game to have only two songs instead of the normal three. This was due to the third and final track Monster being unused, thus making it the only fundamentally incomplete week.
- However, as of the Week 7 update, Monster is now fully accessible through normal gameplay, and Week 2 now has a total of three tracks.
|Tutorial||Girlfriend | Tutorial|
|Week 1||Daddy Dearest | Bopeebo - Fresh - Dadbattle|
|Week 2||Skid and Pump | Spookeez - South|
Monster | Monster (Song)
|Week 3||Pico | Pico (Song) - Philly - Blammed|
|Week 4||Mommy Mearest | Satin Panties - High - M.I.L.F|
|Week 5||Daddy Dearest & Mommy Mearest | Cocoa - Eggnog|
Monster | Winter Horrorland
|Week 6||Senpai | Senpai (Song) - Roses|
Spirit | Thorns
|Week 7||Tankman | Ugh - Guns - Stress|
|Unused||Boyfriend | Test|
|Game Modes||Story Mode - Freeplay|
|Others||Options - Debug Menu - Donate/Kickstarter|